Page 1. Shelvoke & Drewry Enthusiasts' Club Newsletter - Autumn 2021.
THIRTY YEARS AGO.
It’s September 1991 and the gates of the Blackhorse Road Factory close for the final time. S&D as we knew it no longer exists. The sign on the gate reads : “No Milk.”
From the left:- Mick Light, Peter Hankin, Dave Stratton, Brian McPherson. Photo supplied by Mick Light.
A VERY SAD DAY.
For the first fifty eight years of its existence S&D had just four Managing Directors. From 1922 until 1935 James Drewry and Harry Shelvoke were joint Managing Directors. When James Drewry left to become a Director at Hands Trailers Harry Shelvoke continued as sole M.D. until 1949 when he became Chairman and was succeeded by Morris Davenport as M.D. On the retirement of Morris Davenport in 1969 Stanley Quin, a former SD apprentice became Managing Director.
Fred Hooson was appointed as M.D. in 1980 with Stanley Quin becoming Chairman.
Sadly from about that time the fortunes of S&D declined and a take over by the Dempster Division of Krug International did not reverse that trend. After a succession of M.D.’s and a final management buyout the company ceased trading in 1991 and the remains of the company were purchased by Dennis Bros – ironically SD’s major competitor throughout its history.
Prior to that there had been a succession of redundancies as the fortunes of the company declined. This photo supplied by Peter Hankin shows a group of workers who had just been handed their redundancy papers. The human cost of a company in decline was very severe. Suddenly one’s future is uncertain and the work to which you had devoted many years appears to have been worthless. But in the case of S&D the company still provides happy memories for those who enjoyed their employment by the company.