Shelvoke & Drewry Refuse Collection Vehicle types.
THE ‘W’ TYPE 1946 - 1961.

From  1939 with the outbreak of  World War II until it ended in 1945 S&D were entirely engaged in war production apart from a small repair service for existing customers.

1946 Arrival of the ‘W’ type.




The ‘W’ Type was launched in 1946/47 with conventional steering wheel and gear controls. The 'W' denoted wheel steering. One of the first 'W's is shown above with a Newcastle type body. SD's own petrol engine was fitted and engine, gearbox and axles were all produced in SD's Icknield Way works.
Photo from the Goodwin Collection.


1948? The Fore & Aft tipper body becomes available.



The Fore & Aft tipper body was introduced around 1948 and immediately became popular due to its ability to compress the refuse when tipped forward. The system was based on the German Faun design and was produced in order to meet the increasing amounts of less dense refuse being discarded.
Photo from the Goodwin Collection.


1952 Cosmetic changes had taken place.



By this time the ‘W’ sported larger headlights as seen here. The sign on the radiator denotes that a Perkins diesel engine is fitted. Diesel engines became an option from 1954, alongside SD's petrol engine.
Photo supplied by Jaap Mikkers.


1953 The Bulk loader became available.



This enabled Paladin containers to be handled by the Fore & Aft tipper. The Paladin system of refuse containers was designed for bulk collection of refuse from flats and apartments, using specially adapted vehicles. This adaption of the Fore & Aft tipper permitted S&D to gain a share of this market.
Photo from the Goodwin Collection.


Mid 1950’s modifications to the rear of the Fore & Aft body


 Alterations to the F&A body were introduced so that the rear of the body had a vertical flat service and the protrusion was created on the rear door. Compare this version with the one shown above under the 1952 title. The trailer which was normally used for separate waste paper collection was popular with many authorities.
Photo supplied by Jaap Mikkers


1957 The Power Press gives added compaction.



From 1957 the ‘W’ type Fore & aft tipper had the option of Power Press. This can be identified by the hydraulic operating cylinders fitted to the roof of the body as shown. Also the hydraulic hoses on the tipping frame pivot indicate that the body was fitted with power press which increased the compression ratio to give an extra 50% load. From 1957 the majority of customers for Fore & Aft tippers specified the Power Press.
Photo from advertising brochure.

Late 1950’s saw an update to the cab and indicators.

The four piece windscreen, with the ability to be opened, was replaced by a two piece design. Also the semaphore arm indicators were replaced by indicator lights. No photos of these arrangements are available.

 For other Vehicle Types click below.

Freighter

New Type

'T' Type

'N' Type

'P' Type

Home Page